You may have heard that there are several types of English proficiency tests. TOEFL, IELTS, and TOEIC are English tests commonly used in Indonesia. Each has its own test standards and uses. Although different, the three tests serve to assess a person’s English proficiency. If you want to study abroad, of course you must have good language skills. In addition to facilitating daily communication, you don’t want to be left behind, do you just because of language limitations?
Various universities abroad also want to ensure that they accept students who can receive good lessons. Therefore, many foreign universities require applicants to have language proficiency test scores. Maybe what you already know is TOEFL, IELTS, and others. Pssst, do you know the difference between TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, and PTE? Which exam should you take? Let’s get acquainted!
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
TOEFL is the most popular English test for non-native English users. The language used in this test is American English. The regular TOEFL is required by universities in the United States, Canada, and North American states. Not only universities, but also required if you want to work in government agencies, take care of permits, companies, and also apply for scholarships.
Kinds of TOEFL test
The TOEFL has four different test options. Anything?
1. iBT or internet-based Test: this exam is divided into four parts, namely reading, listening, speaking, and the highest score you can get for this exam is 120 points.
2. CBT (Computer Based Test): you take the TOEFL test directly on the computer. The types of questions on this exam usually include listening, reading, structure and additional writing. The score for this TOEFL CBT exam score is 30-300.
3. PBT or Paper-based Test. This exam is also divided into four parts, namely listening, structure and written expression, reading comprehension, and the number of points you can get ranges from 310-667 points. 4. ITP (Institutional Testing Program): test scores are institutional or only valid for certain institutions and countries. The types of questions tested include Listening, Structure and Writer Expression, and Reading Comprehension. The maximum TOEFL ITP score is 500 to 600.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Unlike the TOEFL, the English language skills tested in IELTS are British or British English. Usually, the IELTS test is used by institutions in Australia, UK and New Zealand.
Types of IELTS test
IELTS has two different forms of examination, namely:
- Academic: IELTS version used to apply to college, school or medical professions.
- General Training: used for people who want to work or migrate to countries around Europe, such as UK, New Zealand, and Australia.
The two versions of the IELTS exam are divided into three sections. 40 minutes of the exam will be used for listening, 60 minutes for reading, and another 60 minutes for writing. The results of the IELTS scores are sorted by a 9-band scoring system with a maximum score of 40. The highest score of 9.
Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)
Developed in 1979, this test is intended to measure a person’s proficiency in English at a certain level. The levels in question are Intermediate (intermediate) and advanced (advanced). In general there are in Asian countries such as Korea and Japan. For companies, this test is useful for recruiting, measuring employees’ English skills, and promotion requirements. Then, it is also needed in government agencies with the same function as companies. In addition, it is also important to design training programs for employees. Well, at school, this test is useful for measuring the standard of students’ English proficiency. Thus, teachers can provide appropriate lessons.
The points you can get for this exam are 10 for the lowest and 990 for the highest. The test itself is 2 hours long and consists of multiple choice questions, listening comprehension, and reading comprehension.
Buat kalian yang ingin kursus komputer di tempat terbaik, klik di sini ya!